We’re happy to announce a new version of httr, a package designed to make it easy to work with web APIs. Httr is a wrapper around RCurl, and provides:
- functions for the most important http verbs:
- automatic cookie handing across requests, connection sharing, and standard SSL config.
- a request object which captures the body of the request along with request status, cookies, headers, timings and other useful information.
- easy ways to access the response as a raw vector, a character vector, or parsed into an R object (for html, xml, json, png and jpeg).
- wrapper functions for the most common configuration options:
- support for OAuth 1.0 and 2.0. Use
oauth2.0_tokento get user tokens, and
sign_oauth2.0to sign requests. The demos directory has six demos of using OAuth: three for 1.0 (linkedin, twitter and vimeo) and three for 2.0 (facebook, github, google).