It's with great pleasure that the team at Revolution Analytics announces the winners of the inaugural "Applications of R in Business" contest:
Grand Prize ($10,000): Shannon Terry and Ben Ogorek, Nationwide Insurance for 'A Direct Marketing In-flight Forecasting System'
Runner Up Prize ($5,000): Jeffrey Breen, Atmosphere Research Group for 'Mining Twitter for Airline Consumer Sentiment'
Congratulations to both winners, who were selected by a judging panel of industry experts, analysts, and R users. (The competition was also very close: there was only a coupe of points in the judges' aggregate scores separating the top two entries.)
In addition, the following applications were selected for $1,000 Honorable Mention prizes by Revolution Analytics:
- Hakan Koç and Bengt Maas, Salzgitter Mannesmann Forschung GmbH: Towards an ideal steel plant – Online liquid steel temperature prediction using R
- Imre Kocsis, Kristóf Gáti, András Pataricza, and Gábor Horváth, Budapest University of Technology and Economics: Time Series Analysis and Order Prediction with R
- Stephen D. Simon, P.Mean Consulting / University of Missouri-Kansas City: Predict the duration of your clinical trial
- Shannon Terry and Ben Ogorek, Nationwide Insurance: Quantifying Uncertainty in IT Estimates
- Yihui Xie, PhD Candidate at Department of Statistics, Iowa State University: knitr: Elegant, flexible and fast dynamic report generation with R
You can learn more about all of the winning applications in the slideshow on the Applications of R in Business Contest Winners page, in the press release and in the reports in Read Write Web, Enterprise Apps Today and Information Management.
Thanks to everyone who participated in the contest. A special mention is due to Shannon Terry and Ben Ogorek, both from Customer Analytics within Nationwide Insurance. They have been gracious enough to donate both their grand prize and honorable mention prizes to charity Mid-Ohio Foodbank, a 501(c)(3) organization based in Columbus, OH and a close community partner with Nationwide Insurance, will receive $11,000 to support their efforts in hunger relief. What a wonderful contribution!
Revolution Analytics: Applications of R in Business Contest: 2012 Winners