There’s only one week left until the very first satRdays event all around the world!
This is a very exciting project with great interest from the R and more general data science community — in the past short 2 months (since we opened registration for the conference):
- More than 160 persons signed up and paid for attendance from 17 countries so far (around 50-50% mix of academic and industry tickets, 30-70% mix of foreign and Hungarian attendees)
- We received almost 40 voluntary talk proposals in a few weeks of time while the CfP was open
- 25 selected & awesome speakers agreed on to present at the conference
- Registrants can choose between 6 (free) workshops to attend in the morning before the conference sessions
- A pre-conference Data Visualization Challenge is going on with the final round to be at a live session at the end of the conference
- One Platinum, two Gold, three Silver and eight Bronze sponsors decided to support this conference by paying 3/4 of the overall costs
- We found a fantastic venue, made deals with catering & press companies, learned a lot about strange Hungarian tax laws and accounting, tweaked HTML/CSS/JS at late nights, Gimp-ed some graphics for roll-up banners, t-shirts and many more without much designer skills (worried about the results, huh?) — I will write a blog post in mid-September on my experiences with some hints, dos and dont’s for future satRday organizers 🙂
If you might miss this conference (I know you already feel more and more frustrated about this), let me suggest some related events in the near future:
- The next satRday events will happen in San Juan, Puerto Rico and Cape Town, South Africa early next year, and I’m pretty sure that many more locations will be announced soon 🙂
- The Budapest BI Forum (mid-Oct) is a 3 days conference with a very strong R track on the Open Analytics Day based on the past few years’ experience. The CfP is still open, hope to see you there!
- eRum 2016 (European R users meeting) is a new initiative of a 3 days conference in Poland (mid-Oct) with an impressive number of participants and sessions, looking forward to it!
- And let me also recommend Crunch Conference (early-Oct, Budapest) for data engineers and scientists — which is another 3 days conference with two track and very impressive list of A+ speakers.