String functions in R
Here's a quick cheat-sheet on string manipulation functions in R, mostly cribbed from Quick-R's list of String Functions with a few additional links.
- substr(x, start=n1, stop=n2)
- grep(pattern,x, value=FALSE, ignore.case=FALSE, fixed=FALSE)
- gsub(pattern, replacement, x, ignore.case=FALSE, fixed=FALSE)
- gregexpr(pattern, text, ignore.case=FALSE, perl=FALSE, fixed=FALSE)
- strsplit(x, split)
- paste(..., sep="", collapse=NULL)
- sprintf(fmt, ...)
Also see Regular Expressions as used in R and R String processing.
Note: Just to be clear, R is far from an ideal platform for processing text. For anything where that's the major concern, you're better off going to Python or Ruby.
offers daily e-mail updates
news and tutorials
on topics such as: visualization (ggplot2
), programming (RStudio
, Web Scraping
) statistics (regression
, time series
) and more...
If you got this far, why not subscribe for updates
from the site? Choose your flavor: e-mail
, or facebook