In 2010, my heating costs exceeded my advance payments by about 25%. This motivated me to decompose the costs to see what drove the changes. Here is the result:
The numbers refer to Euros. Read von right to left: 2010 was a cold year (+102EUR), but gas consumption in this house was relatively low (–89EUR). Also, running costs and gas price were below previous year’s value (–49EUR). The main driver (+183EUR) for the increased costs was my share on the total costs. In 2009, I had to pay 1.7% of the total costs, which rose to 2.3% in 2010. This means my landlord assumes I used more energy than the other tennants in 2010. I doubt that, and one aspect to support my doubts is that the values of the two heat meters in my living room were nearly at the same value, while I used only one heater.
Thus I believe it was a measurement error. I am not going to complain about this, but will check next measurements very carefully.
Not a direct result of the decomposition, but also interesting is the (temperature adjusted) enery use per square meter, which was in 2010 by about 110 kWh/m2, which is nearly average.
Here’s the R code to produce the chart:Read more »