The SurveyThe survey What Degree is Best for Data Science? ran from February 9 through March 12, 2020 asking participants 4 questions:
- Answers about self:
- Q1: What is the highest level of school degree you have completed?
- Q2: Which of the following best describes the field in which you received your highest degree?
- Answers about best education:
- Q3: What level of school degree you consider optimal for successful career in data science?
- Q4: Which field of study you consider optimal for successful career in data science?
During that period 289 respondents participated and 285 successfully completed all 4 questions, so 4 participants with partial answers were removed from analysis below.
Though simple and short (average time it took to complete survey was 55 seconds (after removing 6 outliers who took over 500 seconds to complete survey)) they survey possesses certain internal structure overlapping in time and subject. Time groups questions in 2 pairs: one about education already acquired by a participant and the other about participant recommendations for best education. Subject of questions yields alternative groups based on the answers questions share: pair of 1st and 3d about degree and pair of 2d and 4th about field of study.
Answers to Each Question
Sankey Diagrams: How Data FlowsSankey diagrams help visualize how answers flow through the questions. We start with pairs of related questions and finish with all 4 questions together.
Completed Degree and Field of Study (Q1, Q2)
Best Degree and Field of Study (Q3, Q4)
Completed Degree vs. Best Degree (Q1, Q3)
Completed Field vs. Best Field (Q2, Q4)
Complete Flow of Answers For All 4 Questions