Getting out of the office and making time to share our R stories and ideas can often slip down our to-do lists when we’re busy, but taking the opportunity to meet others face-to-face can have a hugely positive impact on you, and your company’s, growth.
Becoming active in the R community can have many benefits and submitting an abstract to one of the Enterprise Applications of the R Language (EARL) Conferences is the perfect platform to get started!
If you would like to speak this year and you’re still ‘ummming’ and ‘ahhing’ about submitting, we’ve put together the top ten reasons why you should submit an abstract…
- Our attendees – Our audience are amongst the most passionate about R in the world. They come from across the globe to discuss, share and network with their fellow R Users. They are also incredibly friendly, which makes networking fun and easy. You shouldn’t worry about attending solo either because many of our attendees do too.
- Improve your business – EARL is the perfect setting to get some new ideas to help you improve your business. You’ll be surprised and comforted to find that lots of other businesses experience the same frustrations that you do – and many of them have some genius ideas and solutions that you can take away and apply in your own organisation.
- Forefront of R usage in business – On the topic of speakers, having so many industries represented means EARL is a great place to get a live snapshot of what’s going on in the industry right now and what trends are starting to emerge.
- The supportive atmosphere – Maybe you think you don’t know enough to present a talk, but it’s not about being the best or knowing the most. People come to EARL to hear about what their peers have been doing. They want to hear about the lessons you’ve learnt, your successes, and your mistakes. EARL is about inspiring others to solve problems with R.
- Networking – The conference networking opportunities, particularly the official reception, are perfect for catching someone you’ve been wanting to talk to or just have a more relaxed discussion over a couple of drinks.
- The range of topics – If you’re unsure if anyone will be interested in your talk, we can promise you that there will be others there who love what you love. Our audience always have plenty of interesting questions to ask no matter what the talk topic is.
- Free conference ticket – Speakers at EARL receive a free conference pass (London: for the day they are speaking).
- Showcase your company – Speaker slots aren’t sponsored so our agenda isn’t full of product pitches. You’ll be able to choose between fascinating speakers from a huge range of industries and different-sized companies.
- Build your profile and career – This year EARL has attracted some of the biggest names in R. This makes it a great opportunity to build your profile and get your ideas out there. The R community is incredibly supportive and always welcomes newcomers. Also, if you’re looking for the next step in your career EARL is full of potential new clients or employers.
- Give back to the community – The R community is built on people sharing their ideas and encouraging others to do the same. By sharing your thoughts and experiences you will be helping to inspire other R enthusiasts to get out there and try out new packages or solutions.
The brilliant speakers we get each year and the passion of our audience are what make EARL great. If you want to become a speaker and you’re after some inspiration read our tidytext analysis on past EARL submissions.
EARL London abstract submissions close on 31 March 2018
EARL US Roadshow abstract submissions close on 30 April 2018
2018 event dates:
London 11-13 September
Seattle 7 November
Houston 9 November
Boston 13 November