Bill Grosso presented a fascinating webinar about the video gaming industry today, Knowing How People are Playing Your Game Gives You the Winning Hand. He described how over the past three years, game studios have switched from viewing analytics as a primarily descriptive tool to deploying modern data collection practices, machine learning toolkits, and statistical methods to gain a deeper understanding of player behavior, predict outcomes, and modify their games and business practices in real-time to improve both the user experience and revenue. He also described how he uses the R language and statistical modeling to:
- Identify, predict and intervene when "noobs" and "veterans" are about to give up on a title
- Model the dynamics of a population of players in a gaming community
- Analyze the games themselves (for example, where players are getting stuck in the game)
- Detect fraud like gold-farming within games
- Identify and nurture the highest-spending consumers of in-app purchases
I've included the replay below — don't miss the Q&A section at the end where Bill revealed some of his favorite R packages and books.
You can also find additional references in Bill's slide, which you can download at the link below.
Revolution Analytics webinars: Knowing How People are Playing Your Game Gives You the Winning Hand