Cluster analysis of what the world eats
Keeping with the theme of the post below
, I used a clustering algorithm
to group the different countries according to what they eat. I simply played around with the number of clusters until I got something I thought resembled reality, so don't interpret this as an in-depth analysis.
- Group 1: Lot's of coffee and offal. They don't like fish and fruits, but eat their veggies. Similar to Group 2.
- Group 2: Lot's of calories per day, all kinds of meat, alcohol, milk, butter, potatoes and sugar. Vegetable oils are used for cooking. No beans here.
- Group 3: Fish and rice (which coincidentally is what I had for dinner yesterday). They use coconut oil and don't like milk or cheese.
- Group 4: They like bovine meat, fruits and sugar. They also use palm oil, and don't like veggies.
- Group 5: Not many calories per day, lots of starchy roots, beans and pulses.
- Group 6: Lot's of carbs (wheat and cereals). They eat their veggies and use olive oil and soybean oil.
The code is here
and the data (taken from a database put together by the blog Canibais e Reis)
To leave a comment
for the author, please follow the link and comment on his blog: Diego Valle's Blog
offers daily e-mail updates
news and tutorials
on topics such as: visualization (ggplot2
), programming (RStudio
, Web Scraping
) statistics (regression
, time series
) and more...
If you got this far, why not subscribe for updates
from the site? Choose your flavor: e-mail
, or facebook