iEvoBio 2011 Synopsis
We just wrapped up the 2011 iEvoBio meeting. It was awesome! If you didn’t go this year or last year, definitely think about going next year.
Here is a list of the cool projects that were discussed at the meeting (apologies if I left some out):
- Vistrails: workflow tool, awesome project by Claudio Silva
- Commplish: purpose is to use via API’s, not with the web UI
- Phylopic: a database of life-form silouhettes, including an API for remote access, sweet!
- MappingLife: awesome geographic/etc data visualization interace on the web
- SuiteSMA: visualizating multiple alignments
- treeBASE: R interface to treebase, by Carl Boettiger
- VertNet: database for vertebrate natural history collections
- RevBayes: revamp of MrBayes, with GUI, etc.
- Phenoscape Knowledge Base
BiSciCol: biological science collections tracker
TNRS: taxonomic name resolution service
Barcode of Life data systems, and remote access
Moorea Biocode Project
Microbial LTER’s data
BirdVis: interactive bird data visualization (Claudio Silva in collaboration with Cornell Lab of Ornithology)
Crowdlabs: I think the site is down right now, another project by Claudio Silva
Phycas: Bayesian phylogenetics, can you just call this from R?
RIP MrBayes!!!! replaced by RevBayes (see 9 above)
Slides of presentations will be at Slideshare (not all presentations up yet)
A birds of a feather group I was involved in proposed an idea (TOL-o-matic) like Phylomatic, but of broader scope, for easy access and submission of trees, and perhaps even social (think just pushing a ‘SHARE’ button within PAUP, RevBayes, or other phylogenetics software)!
- Peter Midford lightning talk: talked about matching taxonomic and genetic data
To leave a comment
for the author, please follow the link and comment on his blog: Recology
offers daily e-mail updates
news and tutorials
on topics such as: visualization (ggplot2
), programming (RStudio
, Web Scraping
) statistics (regression
, time series
) and more...
If you got this far, why not subscribe for updates
from the site? Choose your flavor: e-mail
, or facebook